Over at The National Interest (practically the only mainstream journal that advocates in favor of a sane Russia policy), they have a ‘sneak peak’ of an upcoming article by Thomas Graham entitled, “The Friend of My Enemy.” Graham’s overall point: “As a general rule, we should be prepared to accommodate Russian interests where we can without jeopardizing our own.” I couldn’t agree more. And this guy knows what he’s talking about – he was senior director at the National Security Council for three years and probably saw first hand the application of neocon principles to U.S.-Russian relations. I don’t think the poisonous effect of neoconservatism can be overstated – to the extent that it draws on liberal idealistic principles (its founders were ex-Marxists after all), it has mixed itself up with that group to the point that now the worst assumptions of each line of thought have become the conventional wisdom (America has a historical or religious mission to spread democracy, all peoples everywhere are striving toward the goal of an American-style society, etc.). I agree with Graham – it’s time for some realism in our foreign policy.
- RT @Capitals: Can't stop this man #CapsWild @csnma https://t.co/9rMNWntKWN 15 hours ago
- RT @opendemocracyru: Truckers' phones are being blocked. Strike leader Andrei Bazhutin has had his license taken, and is not being allowed… 21 hours ago
- RT @ABarbashin: China's outgoing investment in 2016 amounted to $170bln. How much #China invested in #Russia? Roughly 500mln. That's 0,3%. 22 hours ago
- Since Deripaska's in the news cycle, here's a classic exchange between him and Putin https://t.co/cyql0St3nA 22 hours ago
- RT @RFERL: New kids on the block - @BalmforthTom writes about the younger generation at last weekend's protests in Russia https://t.co/LAyc… 1 day ago
TRM Topics Cloudanti-corruption legislation bribery bribes bureaucracy Business Business and Economy corruption criminal law Dmitry Medvedev duma Economic development economics elections Foreign direct investment foreign investment goskorporatsii Government of Russia Law legal update legislation Medvedev news roundup oil oligarchs PM Putin political parties power vertical President Medvedev prosecutor general Putin rule of law russia Russian economy siloviki state corporations strategic industries u.s.-russia relations United Russia Vladimir Putin war on corruption